M4M Mama Claire | Week 4 | #52wonderfilledweeks

Wow, week 4! I can't believe I've made it thru the first month of my challenge! This week I was so productive in and out of the craft studio! I had three rehearsals and two concerts this week with the New Philharmonic.  We offered the Verdi classic, "La Traviata".  We have one more show today at 3pm and if you are in the area I HIGHLY suggest checking it out.  The singers are ah-mazing...and I don't say that lightly.  I just wish I could see something from my spot in the pit! HA!

I made several things this week but I'll have to wait to share a few since they are off in the mail as birthday gifts.  I can't wait to show you them though because they are so easy I had my four year old help and the end product is pretty luxurious ;)

What I can show you is the new top I made.  This is the Mama Claire from Made for Mermaids. I made my first earlier last fall when we were getting ready to see Bruno Mars in his 24K Magic tour. The Mama Claire is a two way dolman....so what does that mean? It has "bat wing" sleeves (not traditional inset ones) and it can be worn with the "front" in the "back" and visa versa.

My 24K Magic shirt came out exactly as I imagined.  The only downside is with the gold panel it's not as easy to wear everyday, lol! My only other complaint is that the cross front tends to open up a bit wider than I would like...again especially for something I would be wearing to work.  I was looking forward to making a new one and when I saw this vibrant green knit from Knitpop I knew this is what is was destined for!

After I top stitched around the entire cross over opening.
I didn't top stitch the long band that wraps around the front on this one (I did on the black and gold one). But when I wore it I felt the front went a little lower than I would like and I was sort of forced to wear a tank top underneath it. On the Made for Mermaid Facebook page people have talked about tacking the cross over together. I decided to take it one step further and top stitched around the band after the piece was constructed. so the whole crossover is sewn down. I can wear it comfortably without a tank underneath it now. The downside is that it loses it's pretty drape...I think next time I will try just tacking it as suggested. I also dislike the length on me, which isn't a surprise as the pattern is drafted for a 5'5" frame. So I think on my next one I will either shorten the pattern through the body an inch or so, OR, lengthen it and leave the band off completely and just hem it. Either way...in the end it's a nice addition to my closet! I have a few floral fabrics I think would look great in this pattern and I am toying with making a concert version, with a drapey black knit and faux stretch leather bands...how awesome would that be!!

Taking advantage of the "two-way" option.  I actually love it this way for an evening or going out look!

Next week will be a lot of paper crafting...I am finally using my new Silhouette Cameo 3!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing elastic in Flip diaper covers & converting aplix (velcro) tosnap closures

DIY Swiffer Duster Refills | Week 3 | #52wonderfilledweeks

IKEA Stomma Clock Hack | This WONDERfilled Life